Monday 26 May 2014

Chocolate-Almond Oatcakes

It's been a week since I've moved back home....and I am already starting to get bored. I don't have a summer job, so a lot of time is spent in and around home.

To combat today's dose of boredom, I decided to bake. I wasn't in the mood for a full-fledged meal, or a complicated dessert, so I went to something that I knew would be delicious no matter what-oatcakes.

Steel-cut oats were a huge breakfast staple this year. I enjoy the chewiness of them, and it was a breeze to make the night before and put into individual jars for the week. On the weekend, I used oats on top of pancakes to add both taste and texture, as well as keeping me fuller for a longer period of time.

Oatcakes were introduced to me on one of my practicum blocks. It was a cooking day with the kindergarteners, and we made healthy oatcakes together.

Now, I'm not a huge health person, so I took a basic oatcake recipe and jazzed it up. By jazzed it up, I mean I accidentally poured too much vanilla extract and cocoa powder into my oatcakes. Best mistake ever.


Chocolate-Almond Oatcakes-makes 12-14
(adapted from Edible Noir)

2 cups rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup brown sugar (I used white sugar, and it is a bit sweeter)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
3/4 cup margarine or butter
1/4 cup water
Optional: chocolate chips, walnuts, almonds, etc.

  • Preheat oven to 375 F, and grease a large cookie sheet
  • Mix together all dry ingredients
  • Once dry ingredients are mixed, incorporate all wet ingredients and mix until a dough is formed
  • Using a tablespoon to measure, form dough into small balls. Place onto cookie sheet and flatten tops
  • Bake for 10-12 minutes
These babies are delicious with a pat of butter, jam or even some Nutella! 

No comments:

Post a Comment